Our trusted physicians prior to June 2002 are still not convinced that we should take a multivitamin. They believed that multivitamins were not necessary if we were on a “complete diet”. The problem is, even nutritionists and physicians cannot define the “whole diet” of the standard they are advising.
A landmark in the medical field was when Dr. Ro. Robert Fletcher and Drs. Kathleen Fairfield persuaded the Journal of American Medicine (JMA) to reconsider its policy on multivitamins. In their study, published in JAMA in June 2002, they found that North American diets were poor in preventing vitamin deficiency diseases such as scurvy, osteoporosis and pellagra. The typical American diet is too inadequate to prevent lifestyle diseases, also called chronic degenerative disease (CDG).
Some vitamins and minerals were specially studied and they concluded that:
– Low levels of vitamins B6, B12 and folic acid are associated with an increased risk of heart disease, which is the world number 1 in mortality and disability.
– Low levels of vitamin C, a very special antioxidant associated with an increased risk of cancer
– Another antioxidant is associated with low levels of vitamin A, decreased immunity and poor eyesight.
– Low levels of carotenoids are associated with an increased risk of prostate, breast and lung cancer, three of which are leading cancers.
– Low levels of vitamin B12 in the body are associated with anemia and neurological disorders
– Low levels of folic acid are associated with increased risk of neural tube defects
With these studies and so much evidence, most of us are still unaware of the fact that multivitamins can actually prolong our lives by giving our bodies a full line of nutrients for our optimal health. Most of us believe that we eat whole foods every day, but the reality is that we fall short of eating the right food in the right amount and in the right formula to maintain the right health. People fund junk food and this accelerates the formation of cholesterol plaques in our blood vessels. No wonder more and more people are dying from heart attacks, strokes and hypertension.
On the bright side, a lot of people are starting to accept the fact that we don’t eat foods that sustain our lives and prevent diets that catch degenerative diseases. People are starting to take multivitamins in various forms. That’s why the nutritional supplements and multivitamin industry is a trillion dollar industry.
I myself am taking quality multivitamins every day. For me, it is better to take over-the-counter or prescription medications that are full of harmful chemicals that cause a bunch of side effects. Our immune system protects our body from toxins and harmful microorganisms. It is our duty to nourish our body with a nutritious diet and quality multivitamins that have a powerful immune system that will take care of us and maintain our health. Add daily exercise and a healthy lifestyle, and surely we will have a body that will last for another years or decades. Drugs are reserved for dangerous cases when our system is not really working well.
Multivitamins are essential for maintaining optimal health for us and they protect us from terrible chronic degenerative diseases. Taking care of our body and nourishing it with quality multivitamins will enhance our life and enable us to enjoy the beauty of life.